Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Inspired!

After a very very very very very (you get the point right?) long time I am feeling inspired. I think with all the inaction one was getting restless anyways and then came along Anthony Bourdain. Yes the same bad mouthing, alcohol abusing, tongue in cheek chef who's so popular that he has his own page on facebook - Anthony Bourdain. I am reading his book "Kitchen Confidential" and only 1/3 through and I am inspired. Not to be chef or cook better in my kitchen kinda inspired but to go after what I love most. I have never been fortunate enough to have mentor at any stage in my life. I have had to figure it all out (if at all) on my own. Somehow mentors either never came along or chose more prodigious souls (HUMPH) to mentor, leaving me tottering around.

Coming back to the book it is all about cooking only. Mr Bourdain isn't pretentious enough to claim the book is to inspire all and sundry or inspire at all. He's clear his book is for those from that line. He says it is all written in "kitchenese" and it is...half of the stuff I read didn't make sense. But it is inspiring nevertheless. And Big Foot reminds me of a certain professor in college. I don't think I was ready for K** then but now I am. Even if it is in a very Ekalavya and Dronacharya style (Corny I know :)

I will write about the book in my other blog shorlty and probably announce my inspired plans on this one hopefully not very long way from now. Till then long live the power of words.

5 comments:

RS said...

Isn't everybody and his/her uncle on FB? :-)
As for mentors - I've relied on a mix of friends and graduate school advisors.

Abhipraya said...

well yes it is true everyone's on FB. But very few deserve it isn't it? And yeah friends for mentors is a good plan. I've been fortunate to have a few of them :) But grad school advisors? no such luck!

Hrishi Varma said...

i was hoping for a more "high range" inspiration

Sandhya Menon said...

hey!
is this your first AB book? i'm a huge fan. more so after i was fortunate enough to interview him when he came to india for his show. and truly...everything he writes inspires. well, let's hope to see the inspiration last in you.

Abhipraya said...

The kid: High range??? Like Arul Mani?

Quill: Yes my first. And yeah whether it will last is a bigger question :)