Monday, November 20, 2006

Staring hurts!

When I walk down brigade road behind a girl who is dressed in lets say a knee length skirt and a sleeveless top I've noticed men staring hungrily at her legs and bare arms and other parts of course. My blood boils and I feel like putting my unmanicured haphazardly grown finger nails right through the *******'s eyes. And if you think well "she is showing off her legs and hands so what if he stares?" you've got another thing coming. This happens to women who are wearing full arm salwar kameez or even sarees. I've been there and felt those stares in all kinds of clothes. It is very very very uncomfortable, unnerving and actually makes me feel violated.
Delhi's JAGORI ('AWAKEN, WOMEN') a women's training, documentation, communication and resource centre that was established in 1984 with the aim of carrying feminist consciousness to a wider audience using creative media, has made this film called staring hurts...take a look
For more information about the organisation go here

2 comments:

Whizkid said...

jagori is ofcourse the guru-maiya of many a feminist discourse in india. try this link

http://blanknoiseproject.blogspot.com/

very urban, but active as well.

Abhipraya said...

Sajana,

I know about blank noise project. Even met Jasmeen once. Haven't been able to take it further though.